Wednesday, July 2, 2008

GIRLS CAMP!!!

Well, I am home. I survived girls camp. In fact I did more than survive,

I had a blast!!

We meet at the stake center at 7:00 a.m. to leave. That does not seem to terrible early but since I had spent the night (till 2:30 A.M.) with Kelby, Nickcole, and Scot (well actually...them helping me make my devotional hand outs) I was a little tired to start the whole trip out.
I took out truck to pull the trailer up that had all the "stuff" in it. I have not done too much trailer pulling in my life so I was a little nervous about pulling it.
But I did get it up there. I do think the truck is okay.

Once we got there we set up tents for 20 girls and 7 leaders. The girls all got their tents set up relatively quickly. The leaders tent was a different story. We called in the Tajma hall. (Excuse for not knowing how to spell that) It was a huge tent with two rooms, a closet, and even an arched entry window. After awhile we got it set up and moved in.

We were at a beautiful camp site. We went as a stake but each ward had their own camping spot. Ours was kinda of away from every body's. That was nice cause it was just us. The negative thing is that the dang bathroom was 20 miles away. Okay not really but down a steep hill through some one's campsite and down another hill. You really had to need to go to go on that hike. A couple of times I visited the trees.

The first day we went to the stake's campsite and made socks with ribbons running through the top. They were actually pretty cute. Sorry I don't have any pics. That night all the wards gathered to do their skits. We had the funniest bad. We had a bra...One like mine of Stef's. The girls didn't know they came that big. hehe. We had a depends and a sign that said "I like Cheese" We had to say that four times.



The theme for girls camp was "Super Daughters". So our skit was about super daughters with super powers. Alex's power was that she could nurse 100 babies in a hour. At the end of the skit all the "super daughters" found comfort in the gospel. It was actually pretty good for a bad full of crap.

That night we had to wear our identifying "things".



We were the "sparkle" girls. We got to wear these nifty little head bands. This is me and Tiff. She is the second counselor and I am her advisor. I love this women. She is really awesome.

After the program we went back to our campsite and Chrsitie lead all the girls in songs, games, and everything else. Christie is one of those people that knows how to make everyone have a good time. After all the songs and dance we went to bed. Or so I thought.....

All of us leaders were so dead tired. But you know women and sleepovers. Let me just say I laughed soooooooooooo hard. We talked till 2 or 3 a.m. We told stories that were sooo funny. Man that was really awesome. The stories we told are in the secret vault. Although I think most of you Santaquin gals can probably guess what a couple of mine were!!! (SSSHHHHH)

The next day was the usual flag ceremony and chants. After that we did our certification. We then had the rest of the day to ourselves. Adrianne, our camp leader,(who by the way was WAY awesome) had an afternoon of pampering. She had hair things and nail painting things. I ended up doing about 5 girls hair. You know me, the bigger the better. After I did their hair they all joined in on mine. Let me just day. It took a lot to comb in all out.





The next day was the hike. I did not go on this because I was afraid I would not be able to finish it. I was worried that they would end up calling search and rescue up to help me out. I hard they had a blast I hope that I can go next year. I did use the time to ponder and think about life. I am thankful for all of my blessings. I have many many.

That afternoon the bishop and his wife came up. They are some wonderful people. I have a lot of respect for both of them. OH WAIT....We played bum charades. I don't recall if any of you were there that time when I was forbade to play them?? Not this time... This time bishop didn't join in but he did laugh. After dinner was of course testimony meeting. What a powerful time. I was so impressed with the strengh of our girls. They are incredible.

As I look back over the days I am amazed at what camp was able to accomplish. I saw some of the girls come with a determintaion not to be happy and leave with a smile on their face and warmth in their chest. I saw one come mad at the world and she left with a soften heart. What a blessing camp was. Through all the laughs and fun I enjoyed feeling the spirit and being amongst such powerful women and girls.

6 comments:

{Mo} said...

Yea Marla! I know you were a super fun leader! I bet you are glad to be home and clean, but missing it too? There is just something about camp....I hope I get to go again~ but I'm glad it's over this year at least!

Jackson 8 said...

I love camp and i love to watch the girls grow from camp. It sure brings out the youth in you. We played bum charedes with the 8th ward they laughed so hard. They thought it was fun.I am glad you survived.

Marilee said...

There's nothing like Girl's Camp! It's almost more fun being a leader at camp than a youth at camp--you know what I mean?

Jenkins Family said...

I love going to Girl's Camp!!!! It is the best place on earth. I also love the young woman's program and what a blessing it is on the girl's lives. Can you tell I really miss being in Young Woman's!!!!! Glad you had a good time!!

Christie Gardiner said...

I loved camp with you Marla, thanks for making it amazingly fun!

Nat Nat said...

Sounds like a blast. I can only imagine. I have been achievment days for ages and love it and my girls are only little. I bet you are a super fun leader. I would have loved having a leader like you when I as growing up.