Monday, August 18, 2008

Memory Monday

School started today for my kids. This year I have three in school all day. It is just me and Marlie here at home. What a weird feeling it is to have the realization that my kids are growing up.
I remember the first time Caden was preparing to enter kindergarten. I was so concerned that his sweet spirit would be corrupt by the influences of others. That I would not be there to protect him from evils in this world. I prayed diligently that he would make good friends and be an example to those around him. That he would be true to who he is.
The day that I took him to kindergarten was the beginning of my understanding of the true plan of redemption. I could not help but think the Lord know when he sent us down to earth we would be corrupted. That we would falter in the temptations of the world. That some of his children would never have a desire to see him again. He knew that coming to earth was our chance of gaining a spiritual education. He knew that we would suffer ridicules of others and other such things. BUT he knew if was for our good.
Today. as a dropped off Caden, Hailee, and Kale. I thought back to this lesson. I know that this year there will be hurt, there will be trails, there will be joys, there will be growth, there will failures, there will be accomplishments. And they will begin to understand the plan of salvation.

10 comments:

The Crook Book said...

How true that is! I remember thinking the same thing. I have also felt that way as they have moved on to Junior High and High School. Always worried that what we taught wouldn't be enough-but we have to trust in what they have been taught and in our prayers and help them when they fall and rejoice when they seem to be doing everything right! I am not excited to send my kids this year. The years seem to fly by. I can't seem to catch my breath!!
Thanks for your thoughts!

Love ya, Stef

Smith Family said...

I think I remember having a similar coversation with you. I was sharing my concerns of the world corrupting these beautiful children. And you reassured me that if i did everything i could at home they will make right choices. In sept, Wyatt will start preschool for the first time. I only hope I will spiritual prepare him more each day to face the trails in his life. I appreciate your words of wisdom.

Jenkins Family said...

I think we all worry about this. All we can do is hope and pray that they have the courage and strength to over come what they need to. I think as mothers we will always worry about this. Call me soon!!

Marilee said...

It's good that you are back to blogging! Thank you for your thoughts--it helps with the anxiety of sending the boys off into the unknown. I'm still learning the logistics of Barnett Elementary and I frequently become nervous. So, here we go....back to school!

Anonymous said...

WAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! School starts tomorrow for us. In a short while I will take them to meet their teachers. MArla, I forgot we have kids the same age.

What are you going to do with one at home? You are welcome to come to my "classes" they are on Wed at 10Am or 7PM (yes I do two). Call me crazy!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, that is me above as anonymous. What happened? I guess I wasn't signed in right.

Shelley

Katlynnelore said...

Wow! Sniff, that was good. You actually brought tears to my eyes. Good thoughts, good thoughts.

Lisa

Megan Slider said...

What a great way to look at things. I have been so nervous for Addi to start kindergarten. It will be her first year not in a special ed class. I like your perspective as she starts school.

Christie Gardiner said...

I love that you make a lesson out of everything. You are very intuitive that way. I could do to be more like this!

I could die happy in Forks... said...

Marla, thank you for that insight. You put into words what I have been feeling! You are amazing! Thank you so much, I needed that! I send Kanyon today! ;0) Love ya!