Several years ago we had the opportunity to visit Nauvoo and other church history sites. We spent the week gaining an understanding of what the saints went through as they move forward in their dedication to the Gospel. I was amazed with all the faith they seemed to have. On the way home we stopped at Martin's Cove. The missionaries taught us about the great suffering the families went through. They taught of mothers freezing to death as the cuddled their children to keep them warm. They listened to their children cry out in hunger knowing there was nothing they could do to ease the enormous pain.
At that time Caden was 10 months old. I thought about what I would do if I were in the same situation with my kids. I would take off my coat to give to him. I would give my food to quiet those hungry cries. I would do what those moms did. My question to myself was, Did I have enough faith to go through something like that to substain my belief in God?
I hoped so, but I wanted to make sure that I did. I decided that I would pray to increase my faith. I was scared to pray. I thought that if I prayed for something like that that I would definitely loose a child, or my husband, or some other great catastrophe. After a few weeks of thinking things through I decided if that is want it took to get the faith necessary for myself in this life than I would be better off.
I knelt by the side of my bed and asked that the Lord grant me with a stronger deeper faith. The faith that I would need to do those things that he would require of me.
Days later I had to run some errands. I loaded my baby into his car seat and begin to back out of the drive way. I had an impression to switch cars and take Garry's car. Well that was obviously a big pain since I would have to move car seats and everything. I decided that I would follow the instructions recognizing them as a prompting from the spirt. I made the change and continued on my way. As I was driving I thought of all the things why the spirit would want me to change cars.
Hours later I returned home I remembered the earlier thoughts I had had about changing cars. I laughed to myself and thought maybe those instructions to change cars came from my own mind. As I turned to corner to my house I noticed that Garry was in the garage. I asked him what he was doing and he told me that he was changing a flat tire on my car. Then I had these thoughts impressed upon my mind....
"You don't have to learn from the big things if you can learn from the little things!"
My eyes filled with tears as I knew my prayer about faith had been answered. My quest for more faith had been answered. I also know at that very second that I had a Heavenly Father that loved me and know how to teach me in a way I could understand.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Thoughtful Thursday
Labels:
Story,
Thoughtful thursday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Wow! Great faith story:)
I love that you recognize God in all things!
Your faith is very inspiring. I often wonder if my faith is as strong as the early pioneers was.
Thanks for that! It really helped me today! Love ya, Stef
Marla, you have such an amazing gift for recognizing the spirit and being able to learn from it and put it into miraculus words! Thank you for using your blog to strengthen my testimony and faith! You have the ability to help so many people! Including me! Thank you! You are amazing! I love ya!
Marla! How are you? what a cute family and blog! I know we live really close. That is awesome. We should get together sometime for a coke or something. It would be fun to catch up! I hope you guys are well. It was great to see you on here! Lydia
That's an awesome story! I love that about you!!! And it also makes me miss being around you for strength and learning and growth. I love ya!
Post a Comment